Franklin Early Childhood Center Age Waiver Procedures
Procedure to Petition for Post Preschool Year
Parents of children who are preschool age eligible may register their child for participation in our tuition based Franklin Early Childhood Center Programs. For participation in a Preschool or Multi-Age Program children must be 3 years old by September 1. For participation in a PreK Program children must be 4 years old by September 1.
If a child, exceeds the age requirements for the Franklin (i.e. child will be 5 years old by September 1), AND has been a student at the Franklin Early Childhood Center during the previous school year, the child’s parent or guardian may petition the Franklin Early Childhood Center Director to request the child remain for an additional year in one of our tuition based PreK programs at the Franklin, provided the following criteria are met:
- The request must be submitted in writing to the Director of the Franklin Early Childhood Center no later than March 15.
- The parent or guardian must complete the Franklin ECC registration process/requirements.
- The child will have successfully participated in at least one full year in a PreK or Multi Age Program at the Franklin Early Childhood Center.
- If the above criteria are met, the child will be evaluated for participation in a PreK tuition based program at the Franklin ECC, based on the following factors:
- A. Letter from pediatrician summarizing the child’s developmental history.
- B. Review of the Franklin ECC records, including the child’s portfolio and progress reports.
- C. Assessment data from the Battelle Developmental Inventory.
- D. Review of Franklin assessment data including Individual Growth Development Indicator (IGDI) Math and Literacy
- E. Observation/interview by a school district evaluation team, which will include observation of the child in the classroom setting.
- F. Letter from the child’s Franklin teacher regarding the child’s progress.
The evaluation team will consist of a building administrator or his or her designee, a school psychologist/social worker, a Franklin General Education and Franklin Special Education Teacher. The team will consider the information provided pursuant to the above-listed factors and make a recommendation regarding the child’s readiness for kindergarten, in light of the child’s social, emotional, intellectual and physical development. The Franklin Director shall make the final decision as to whether the petition for the child attending an additional year should be granted.Franklin ECC guidelines for class size will provide the basis for all age waiver admission decisions. Assignments for age waiver admission will be determined based upon space availability in individual PreK programs.